Thursday, December 3, 2015

Michael Strong Day 4- Technique

 Day 4 card Captain for the Michael Strong Yahoo group is a (Thursday) Tutorial day.  I came across a fun tutorial for a gift I could make for my daughter- so here goes:

  My daughter has a tan/black color scheme in her sitting area, so I used brown(s) for my colors.  I used Michael Strong stamps Cloisonne Nesting Squares and the Punch and Spell Alphabet.
  This takes 5 pieces of 12 x 12 cardstock. Below is the tutorial I watched to create this pencil holder. I used Brushed Corduroy Ranger Distress Ink on this project, and on the letters, embossed it with Clear Distress EP.



I have embedded the video- it is in Spanish....... I have a few tips below to help with the folding.


  I measured the cardstock- a true 12 x 12. Score at 4" and 8".  If it is NOT 12 x 12, just divide the width x's 3 when you score for the first step.
  Turn the cardstock and score at 6" for the second side.

Next, I scored from where the 6" score crosses the 4" score from the centers to the points.  Here is how I did this:
 My ruler is flat against the bottom of my score board with one of the scoring grooves right next to it. Line up the point of the corner at the score intersection to the side of the ruler and get the point of the corner at the bottom lined up.  This will make your paper line up to the groove on your scoreboard- and you need to do this 20 times (5 sheets of cardstock- four scores per page), so it works great /saves time,  OR, you can just fold this line and use the bone folder for your crease.  

 This is the point that was a little hard for me.  Wth the paper folded in half, you will take each corner and bring it over to the far left score line, as shown in the next 2 pictures.


  When you get to this point, you will smooth the paper to the Rt and use your bone folder to get it to lay flat.  Repeat from the Lt side corner as shown in the video, then turn over and repeat on the other side.

 My last tip is in regards to the side flaps at the end.
 I held my ruler along the line, used the bone folder and scored along the ruler line, then kept the ruler there while I folded up the cardstock. Repeat on the opposite side.

 Once complete, fill it up with your "Things and Stuff". I was surprised how sturdy this is!

Challenges:
Crafting by Designs- AG
Inspiration Destination- AG
Stampin' Royalty- Gifts
Papertake Weekly- AG
Through the Craftroom Door-AG

Thanks for stopping by!
Shelly

21 comments:

Hetty said...

What a SUPER gift idea,Shelly.And handy to. Beautifully made.
I am goingtotry this for sure.

kiwimeskreations said...

I have seen this somewhere else on the web recently, and it was mentioned there how sturdy these are. Love you colours on this beautifully made container.
Blessings
Maxine

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

What a darling project. I've never seen anything like it. You did a bang up job with it. TFS a tutorial with us.

Dr Sonia S V said...

Your trinket holder looks gorgeous .I had made this some time back and thoroughly enjoyed it though origami is not my forte
Cheers
Dr Sonia

Karli said...

Wow! This is so super cool! Love how it turned out (and I'm sure Katie did too!) TFS

Lyngo said...

Great idea Shelly . I also think this would make a great gift . Thank you for sharing .

Lynn McAuley said...

What a fun way to store "Things" and "Stuff". Great tutorial, Shelly, on this useful design!

Anne Temple said...

Wow, this looks great and such a great gift idea. I know your daughter will love it too.

Lisa said...

Oh wow, this is awesome!! It looks amazing!! Thanks for the tips and link to the tutorial, too!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

*Vicki* said...

Wow!! Now that is very cool!! I love your design and so useful too!! I enjoy doing something that take a bit of time, but worth it in the end! :) Thanks for sharing!

jimlynn said...

Just as cute as can be - and useful too! Can't beat that. Thanks for the tutorial Shelly!
lynn

Take care and STAY POSITIVE! Trena said...

How cute Shelly! and very functional.
Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

Donna said...

Shelly, this looks like such a fun project. Thanks for sharing the video and the tips for making the desk holder. I'm sure your daughter will love it. Have a wonderful weekend!

Leanne said...

This is so beautifully made, a clever & fun project.

Darlene said...

Oh how clever Shelly ... she's going to love this! Happy Holiday to you & yours!

Penny said...

This is way cool and such a thoughtful gift! Bet your daughter loves it! :^)
Hugs, Penny

Unknown said...

This is a great project! Thank you for the tutorial. I'm sure your daughter will enjoy it. Thank you for sharing with us at TTCRD?

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

This is so awesome! Love that it was made with paper!

Katydid Cards said...

Great project! And thanks for the tutorial, too! I'm a sucker for anything to do with organization. Probably because I'm always wanting to be organized but never quite get there.

Carrie Rhoades said...

That is so cool! Thank you for playing along with our challenge at Stampin' Royalty. I am so glad I learned how to make that cool box.
Happy Stampin'

Lynn (aka Lynnpenguin) said...

Love this...must give it a try. Thanks for entering out challenge at Inspiration Destination. Good luck.
Lynn, ID Creative Team Member